Mission: The Mid-Atlantic Association of IB World Schools fosters a collaborative environment for all members to serve and advocate for IB World Schools throughout the Mid-Atlantic region.
Vision: Educate – Participate - Lead
- IBMA aims to provide valuable programming for all of its members.
- IBMA aims for meaningful participation of all members.
- IBMA aims to be a leader among the IB Community.
IBMA is a group of like-minded educators in the mid-Atlantic region whose goal is to collaborate and connect with all things IB. The mission of IBMA is to Educate, Participate and Lead by providing valuable programming, encouraging meaningful participation of all IB stakeholders, and fostering a spirit of collaboration among its member schools and with the IB Americas office. If you’d like to learn more, check out our website, visit our Facebook page, or follow us on Twitter.
- The May 31, 2019 IBMA Coordinator meeting was held at the National Building Museum, Washington, DC.
- The February 8, 2019 IBMA Coordinator meeting was held at Deep Run Recreation Center in Henrico County, VA, and focused on examining social issues through fiction. - Meeting resources
- The November 9 IBMA Coordinator meeting was held at Gar-Field High School, in Woodbridge, VA. The meeting featured Rick Rubel speaking about academic honesty and how to build ethical school communities. - Meeting details
- The IBMA Subject Bootcamp was held October 13, 2018 at Robinson Secondary School.
- The winter
IBMA coordinator meeting took place on February 2, 2018 at the US
Department of State in Washington, DC. Resources
November IBMA coordinator meeting at Robinson Secondary
School in Fairfax, VA, featured Daniel Pink,
bestselling author of the forthcoming book
Scientific Secrets of Perfect
Timing." Resources from the
meeting are here.
- The winners of the 2021 IBMA Student Excellence Award have been announced. The winners are listed here.
- Winners of the IBMA Faculty Excellence Award from October, December, and February are here
- The February IBMA Coordinators meetings were divided by IB Programmes. Details and other resources here.
- The December 11 IBMA Coordinators meeting featured a workshop "Making Thinking Visible in the IB Classroom" with teachers from Project Zero via Zoom. Resources from the meeting are here.
- The October IBMA Coordinators meeting via Zoom was held on October 9, 2020 on the topic of "Approaches to Teaching and Learning in Action across the Continuum" with Heather Michael. Meeting resources here
- The IBMA response to racial justice issues with links to other resources.
- The winners of the 2020 IBMA Student Excellence Award have been announced. The winners are listed here.
- The February 7, 2020 IBMA Coordinator meeting was held at North Hagerstown HS, Hagerstown, MD. Erin Albright (Head of Professional Services, Policy and Design, International Baccalaureate Organization) and Laura Lane (IB World Schools Manager) will be "Introducing a new approach to programme evaluation." Meeting resources are here.
- The October 18 IBMA Coordinator meeting was held at Maryland International School in Elkridge, MD. Guest speaker Julie Stern discussed "Conceptional Understanding." Meeting resources are here.
- There are proposed revisions to the IBMA Constitution. Take a look at the current and revised documents here.
- The IBMA Subject Bootcamp was held September 21 at Robinson Secondary School. Details here.
- The first IBMA Coordinator meeting was held at Robinson Secondary School on Sept. 20. Meeting resources are here.
- The winners of the 2019 IB Mid-Atlantic
Student Excellence Award applications have been selected.
- The IBMA coordinators' meeting on September 15, 2017 at Baltimore City College, Baltimore, MD, included a discussion of one of these books. Meeting resouces.
- The winners of the IBMA Student Excellence Award for 2017 are here.
- The June 2 IBMA Coordinators' meeting was held at the National Geographic Museum, 1145 17th Street NW, Washington DC. Meeting PowerPoint here.
- The February 10, 2017 Coordinators' meeting was held at Seneca Valley High School in Germantown, MD. The program focused on Approaches to Learning in all IB programmes (details) - Resources
- The IBMA Coordinators' meeting was held on Nov. 4, 2016 at Robinson Secondary School in Fairfax, VA. The meeting featured a program by Alan November. Meeting resources here.
- IBMA Annual Report - a summary of 2015-16 activities
The IBMA Coordinators' meeting will be held on September 23, 2016 - Gar-Field High School, Woodbridge, VA
The IBMA Coordinators' meeting was held on June 3, 2016 at The International Spy Museum, Washington, DC. Resources.
The winners of the IBMA Student Excellence Awards have been announced.
The IBMA Coordinators' meeting on February 26, 2016 at Parkdale High School in Riverdale, MD, focused on community service in all IB Programmes. Agenda, resources.
The IBMA Administrators' meeting was held on Dec. 4 at Robinson Secondary School, Fairfax, VA, with a special program by Project Zero. Meeting resources here.
The IBMA Coordinators' meeting was held on September 25, 2015 at Eastern Henrico Recreation Center in Henrico, Virginia. The meeting theme was "I didn't know what I don't know" and focused on policies that every IB programme must have. Meeting resources.
IBMA has new lanyards available for purchase at coordinators' meetings. Details here.
The 2016 IBMA Summer Academy will take place on July 28 with Pre-Conference sessions on July 27. Interested in presenting? Contact John Day
IBMA presented the 2015 Student Excellence Award to students in each of the four IB Programmes. See the winners
At the IBMA Coordinators' Meeting on November 7 at Gar-Field High School, Woodbridge, VA, the keynote speaker was Rye Barcott. Meeting resources here.
View the IBMA Annual Report to see highlights of the 2013-14 activities. Watch a short video about "What IBMA means to me."
For documents related to the IBMA College Credit Task Force click here
A new "Job Vacancies
" page has been added to advertise job opening in MARC schools. Check back often to see new postings, or contact John Day (email below) to post openings at your school.
Resources for IB Theory of Knowlege "Flexible Thinking in TOK" have been posted by Carolyn P. Henly. These materials come from her presentation at the IBA Regional Conference in San Francisco.
The IBMA organization consists of International Baccalaureate schools both authorized and prospective located in the states of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Click on Membership to read a statement from the president about the value of membership.
Click on the links on the left to view information about member schools in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia.
Some area schools are not members of IB-Mid-Atlantic. Go to the IB Directory of Schools to search for other IB schools in the Mid-Atlantic region.
You may also view a listing of DP course offerings at the Diploma Program schools.
To find out more about the IB curriculum, go to the International Baccalaureate Organization Web site.
Other associations in the IB Americas region can be found at the IBA web site.